December 16, 2015
It has been a great year and we are extremely proud of what Maya Archaeology Initiative, together with our partners, has accomplished in 2015. On behalf of the MAI team we want to thank you for your support, share with you our successes, and ask that you consider a another contribution to pave the way for our work in 2016.
Here are some of the highlights of 2015:
- Completed a second season of conservation in the Holmul Frieze and associated substructures.
- Secured access to Holmul frieze which is now tourism-ready.
- Conserved recently excavated ceramic vases from Holmul in preparation for exhibits in Guatemala and aborad.
- Began conservation of objects from Cival housed in the National Museum in Guatemala City.
- Mapped new sites around Holmul and Cival subverting prior notions that underestimated early Maya settlement organization.
- Partnered with the National Geographic Society to support the park rangers at El Mirador-Rio Azul Park with new uniforms.
- Maintained a team of 8 park rangers at Holmul and Cival, which are among the richest troves of Maya history and endangered wildlife.
In the year ahead we are planning an even more aggressive schedule of projects, all aimed at preservation of Maya culture, conservation of our precious rainforest biosphere, and educational programs to support opportunities for future generations in Guatemala.
Will you help us? Donations to MAI are fully tax-decuctible. Any amount is welcome, and it is easy: just visit the store and donation area on our website at www.mayaarcheology.org/donate or mail a check toMaya Archaeology Initiative 2977 Ygnacio Valley Road Walnut Creek, CA 94598
You will receive a thank you letter and receipt for tax purposes.
Thank you and we look forward to another great year!
Francisco & Clay